Creative Classrooms (Mobile Apps) - Lesson Submission
Lesson Title: Seasons (Grade 1)
Subject Area: ScienceMobile platform used: iOS
TEKS Addressed in the Lesson:
- Science: (1.8) Eath and space. The student knows that the natural world includes the air around us and objects in the sky.
- Identify identify characteristics of the seasons of the year and day and night
- (A) ask questions about organisms, objects, and events observed in the natural world
- (D) record and organize data using pictures, numbers, and words
- (B) make predictions based on observable patterns.
- ELPS: c5B: write using newly acquired basic vocabulary and content-based grade-level vocabulary
- Season's Song: YouTube
How would you discuss the video with the class?
- Popplet - KWL Chart: http://popplet.com/app/#/1511095
- Or Padlet - KWL Chart http://padlet.com/wall/4seasons_evans
- Blog post: http://techie-bytes.blogspot.com/2013/12/seasons-popplet-kwl-chart.html
How would you teach the lesson?
- BrainPop Jr: There is a movie for each season as well as a game.
- Season app (free): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seasons-weather-!-science/id420472804
- The Four Seasons - An Earth Day Interactive Children's Story Book HD app (free): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/four-seasons-earth-day-interactive/id427865899
- Please note: Each season would be broken down to one a day with expository text as well as anchor charts for each, including illustrations of plants, animals, people, and temperature/weather in that particular season.
- Feltboard: ($2.99 and worth it) Using the app, Felt Board, students will create a board which demonstrates their knowledge of each season.
Another possible idea is using the app:
- Songify: Turns your speech into a song ($2.99 - I believe I purchased it when it was free) Students write a poem about their favorite season, record it with Songify. You could also find photos and create an Animoto using the song from Songify. Please view the below example. (Works best in IE)
How would you assess the lesson?
- Students will share their Feltboard and Songify/Animoto projects with the class. The teacher will post finished Feltboard project on the classroom website utilizing the Web 2.0 Flipsnack site. Finished Feltboard project URL.
- Rubric to grade assignment: At this time (Thursday, 12Dec13) RubiStar site will not open.
Note: Possible other videos to utilize through the lesson:
- Discovery Streaming:
- Videos should be stopped throughout and facilitating questions posed to enhance learning.
i. Magical Mother Nature: The Four Seasons (15:28)
ii. Seasons (17:30)